Yet, another awesome easy, cheap, yet delicious recipe and this one is from one of my most faaav blogs What Megan's Making! http://www.whatmegansmaking.com/2009/05/mexican-lasagna.html I totally recommend her site! Anywho, I apologize that this pic is of a barely-there left over mexican lasagna, but I just recently made this dish prior to the beginning of this blog and thought I could just take an after photo for this post. I was surprised to find much more of it eaten than I anticipated! It must have been a hit!
There are many options for filling in this recipe and I believe this had to be my favorite option. As with just about any other Mexican entree, you can typically substitute chicken or beef for eachother. This original recipe actually calls for 2 pounds ground chicken breast. On Megan's blog she states that they had trouble finding it so instead used ground turkey breast. On my first try I used vegetarian meat substitute that was about the same as using ground beef. On this last try however that was my favorite, I used chicken strips that were found in the frozen section. It was super easy and yummy as well! This part is completely up to you!
There are many options for filling in this recipe and I believe this had to be my favorite option. As with just about any other Mexican entree, you can typically substitute chicken or beef for eachother. This original recipe actually calls for 2 pounds ground chicken breast. On Megan's blog she states that they had trouble finding it so instead used ground turkey breast. On my first try I used vegetarian meat substitute that was about the same as using ground beef. On this last try however that was my favorite, I used chicken strips that were found in the frozen section. It was super easy and yummy as well! This part is completely up to you!
I actually had shared this recipe with my boss, and her family decided to try it one day! They liked it so much her husband made it at the fire station later that week for his coworkers and it was even a hit there! Makes you feel good to know you're spreading yummy food ideas and maybe some happiness along the way. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have! :)
It is also a good idea to serve this with sour cream or even Ranch dressing!
You will need:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds ground chicken breast, chicken strips, ground beef, ground turkey, or any other option you're willing to try!
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 red onion, chopped (I just used a regular or white onion whatever you may call it, and it worked just fine)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
1 cup medium heat taco sauce or 1 (14-oz) can stewed or fire roasted tomatoes (I have always used taco sauce)
1 cup frozen corn kernels
Salt
8 (8 inch) spinach flour tortillas (I have tried spinach, regular, and whole wheat and all are tasty)
2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar or shredded pepper jack
2 scallions/green onions, finely chopped (optional)
Non-food ingredients:
9x11 dish
large skillet
wooden spoon
measuring cups/spoons
- So, first preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil around the pan
- Add your meat, whatever kind, and add in chili powder, cumin, and red onion as seasoning
- Brown the meat or sautee it for about five minutes
- Add your taco sauce or tomatos, as well as corn and black beans
- Continue to sautee until everything is heated thoroughly
- Add salt to taste
- Now, coat a shallow baking dish with about one tablespoon of olive oil
- Now, build just like a regular lasagna, meat and beans, then tortillas, then cheese. When adding tortilla tear into pieces to make them easier to layer
Repeat steps as many times as necessary - Bake 12-15 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly
- Top with green onions and serve!
No comments:
Post a Comment